According to government data, 2,402 positive cases were recorded in Surrey on Monday, December 20, up from 2,303 a day earlier.
While in Hampshire, 1,720 positive tests for Covid-19 were recorded on Monday, down from 1,847 on Sunday.
But the rolling seven-day infection rate has increased in both counties, with both remaining above the national average.
In the seven days to December 15, in Surrey there were 1,026.9 positive Covid-19 cases per 100,000 people – up from 901.4 yesterday, and a 46.1 per cent increase on a week earlier.
In Hampshire, the infection rate is now 738.6 per 100,000 people – up from 684.3 yesterday, and a 17.2 per cent increase on a week earlier.
Nationally, the infection rate is 736.4 cases per 100,000, up from 661.3 yesterday.
Hospital admissions have largely flat-lined since mid-October, however, with government data revealing no discernible increase in hospitalisations – or in patients receiving mechanical ventilation – across the South East in line with rising infection rates.
Across the South East, 93 people were admitted to hospitals with Covid-19 on Monday, with 832 people currently receiving treatment for the coronavirus in the region’s hospitals. Of those, 91 are receiving mechanical ventilation.
The government’s chief medical officer Chris Whitty is though expecting a “significant increase” in hospitalisations from the Omicron variant in coming weeks.
The worst-affected areas locally, ranked by their rolling seven-day infection rate up to December 15, are:
* Haslemere East (113 new cases/1,688.3 cases per 100,000/up 91.5 per cent on a week earlier)
* Hindhead, Beacon Hill and Frensham (105/1,197/+87.5%)
* Wheelerstreet, Wormley and Hambledon (86/1,194.1/+53.6%)
* Farnham Shortheath (77/1,085.9/+37.5%)
* Elstead and Milford (75/1,071.1/+82.9%)
* Weybourne and Badshot Lea (63/1,057.4/+117.2%)
* Haslemere West (64/1,030.1/+3.2%)
* Farnham Moor Park and Bourne (61/969.3/-12.9%)
* New Alresford (77/907.7/+37.5%)
* Liss and Hawkley (70/898.5/+118.8%)
* Farnham Town (74/882.4/+15.6%)
* Bordon Camp (52/872/+62.5%)
* Petersfield South (84/888.8/+6.3%)
* Odiham and Warnborough (59/866.6/+31.1%)
* Wrecclesham (53/825.9/+47.2%)
* Farnham Upper Hale (58/834.3/+38.1%)
* Crookham West, Ewshot and Crondall (83/822.6/+2.5%)
* Whitehill and Selborne (47/822.4/+46.9%)
* Fernhurst and Northchapel (54-807.7/-16.9%)
* Ewhurst and Chiddingfold (66/800.2/+57.1%)
Only areas in the Herald area (Farnham, Haslemere, Alton, Bordon, Liphook, Petersfield) where infection rates exceed 800 cases per 100,000 are listed.
Find out how your area is faring by using the interactive map at https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/cases
CommentsTo leave a comment you need to create an account. |