Quaker history in Alton will be celebrated during Heritage Week, which runs from September 10 to 17.

This year marks the 350th anniversary of the building of the Quaker Meeting House in Church Street, and it will be open on September 10 and 17 from 10.30am to 4pm. Some of the original features are still present and there will be a small display of the history.

The Curtis Museum, which botanist William Curtis of the Quaker Curtis family was instrumental in setting up, has devised a Quaker trail through the museum.

The Allen Gallery is hosting an exhibition of ceramics from the 16th century to the present day. There are items by Richard Champion, a Quaker potter working in Bristol from 1773 to 1782, and items associated with William Curtis, including a jug and goblet designed by him. A Jubilee loving cup, designed for the Quaker Crowley family brewery, is also on display.

Entry to the gallery is free.