PLANS have been submitted to East Hampshire District Council for a new extension and garden works at historic Grayhott pub The Fox and Pelican to ensure the business “can be successful in the long term”.
The establishment of a public house in Grayshott originally arose following the purchase of land in the village by Alton Brewery. In 1893, land which had formerly been allotments was bought by John Ward, an estate agent who sold it on in 1898 to Gerald Hall, a family member of the Alton Brewery Company, at a price of £750. It was officially opened in 1899.
Fullers Brewery has now applied for works to the garden to improve the external appearance of the building and a new extension of a “limited scale” that will bring economic benefits by providing extra space.
The design and access statement supporting the plan concludes “ no harm results from the changes proposed and the proposal would meet the requirements of the development plan. Furthermore, the proposed development would also meet the requirements of sustainable development. On this basis, it is considered that permission should be granted.”
This application seeks the erection of a single-storey side extension, pergolas, new external kitchen, landscaping of garden and associated work. The extension will add 70 sq metres of floor space to the pub.