contract services team.
The council’s cabinet was told its team was delivering an outstanding service by an independent consultant.
• Improving recycling rates in 2016 from 39.9 to 43.3 per cent
• Being ranked as 35 out of 229 waste authorities for its dry recycling levels
• Collecting the highest amount of green waste per household and having some of the lowest bulky waste charges, compared to its neighbouring authorities
• Providing a very efficient service to its customers;
• Some of the lowest recycling contamination levels at 4.9 per cent
• High street cleansing standards particularly in the city centre and areas of high footfall, and
• Maintaining parks and gardens to a very high standard.
The team has also arranged to work at night to clean the A27 trunk road after new guidance for safe working on highways was released. A deep clean of the section of road within CDC’s boundaries has almost been completed and so far, 465 bags of litter have been cleared from the verges.
Councillor Roger Barrow, member for contract services, said: “The council regularly reviews its services to make sure that we are continuing to provide cost effective and quality services to our residents.
“In the current economic climate it is vitally important that we do this, to make sure that we are offering best value to our taxpayers.
“I am really pleased this review has recognised the hard work and dedication shown by Chichester Contract Services.
“They work tirelessly to deliver vital services on a daily basis to the people of our district,” he added.
“They have also made huge strides over the past year to improve recycling rates and the efficiency of the services that they provide. This review has confirmed we should continue to operate this service in-house due to its efficiency and level of service.
“We will now use this process to build on the areas that could be further improved.”
The CCS team based in Westhampnett is responsible for recycling and waste collections, street cleaning, public conveniences and maintaining cemeteries, parks and gardens and runs a workshop maintaining its vehicles and providing MoTs.