A FLURRY of fake snow helped transform St Ives School into a true winter wonderland for its Christmas market.
Parents turned out in force to create a magical winter forest, complete with snowballs and a snow fall, at the front of the school in Three Gates Lane, Haslemere.
Just as the sun was setting, the whole school community gathered to sing Christmas carols as the ‘snow’ started to fall to make the event extra festive.
Haslemere mayor David Round rang his bell to announce the Christmas market was open for business.
More than 20 stallholders from near and far set up shop, selling everything from cakes and cider to clothes and candles.
The office of headteacher Kay Goldsworthy was turned into a Santa’s Grotto, and children were queueing down the hall to grab their chance to meet Father Christmas and receive a gift.
Mrs Goldsworthy said: “We are so lucky to have such a supportive group of parents, who work hard to put on wonderful events such as this.
“Not only does everyone have loads of fun, but we also raise valuable funds for the school. We are very grateful.”
St Ives has been a central part of Haslemere for more than 100 years.
It was formally opened in 1911 at The School House in College Hill, Haslemere, which was owned by Herbert Hutchinson (1868-1957), a prominent doctor, lecturer and founder of Haslemere Museum. His sisters taught at the school, so it was very much a family enterprise.
By 1966, St Ives had outgrown its first home and relocated to its current site at the other end of the town. The school moved to Oakhurst, which was bought in 1965 from Ken Wood, of Kenwood mixers fame. It was officially opened as a school in January 1966.