Tilford beat Puttenham & Wanborough by five wickets on Saturday to secure a third-place finish in Division One of the I’Anson League.

The visitors won the toss and elected to bat first. Opening bowlers Huw Town-Jones and Jason Stones took two wickets apiece as Puttenham were reduced to 31 for four.

Skipper Faisal Abbas and Ali Ahmed (21) then staged a comeback, adding 62 before Abbas departed for an entertaining 52 which included three sixes. The innings ended on 156 in the 43rd over.

Wickets were shared by all the bowlers, with Town-Jones taking three for 35.

When Tilford batted Matt Swarbrick made a quick 20, but the home side were at one stage 77 for four with the result in the balance and spinners reducing the scoring rate.

Ciaran Rooney and Andy Hall Hall wrestled control with a partnership of 51 before Hall Hall was bowled for 27 having hit five crisp fours. Wrenn then hit out and struck the winning drive for six, with Rooney undefeated on 62 off 106 balls as the target was reached with five overs to spare. Sajid Hussain and Ahsan Ahmed took two wickets each for Puttenham, who were relegated.

Headley’s first team lost against Farncombe by 63 runs, consigning them to relegation from Division One despite a late-season push for survival.

Skipper Dom Johnson won the toss and elected to bowl.

The opening pair of Devyn Scott (one for 26) and Matty Hall (three for 46) produced typically threatening spells, with Hall’s collection of cutters and slower balls outwitting the top three batters. Despite the fall of early wickets, Farncombe kept the scoreboard ticking and applied pressure on the Headley bowlers.

Overseas leg-spinner Alex Wenban (three for 32) delivered a testing spell, prising out a well-set middle order – including a remarkable caught and bowled effort to remove Tom Williams (27). He was well supported by Ryan Young, who maintained the pressure with an economical spell (one for 30). Lee Hudson (32) delivered some valuable runs for Farncombe to bring them to a competitive 169 all out.

Farncombe gained some early wickets with incisive opening bowling, before opener George King (18) and Wenban (eight) attempted to dig in and set a foundation for Headley’s middle order.

However, the introduction of Rowan Poole (five for 33) proved the turning point. Young (33) continued his good form, but his efforts proved to be in vain as tight bowling dismissed the tail and restricted Headley to 106 all out.

In Division Four, Headley’s second team sealed a third-place finish with a five-wicket win against Churt and Hindhead’s third team at the Bordon & Oakhanger Sports Club.

Despite a slightly soft top, Churt & Hindhead won the toss and elected to bat.

Openers Darren Carter and Callum Macleod-Andrew (27) batted solidly until Carter edged to slip for eight.

Thereafter, the batting side lost wickets at a regular rate with John Canning (three for 36), Adam Joyce (two for seven) and Hari Elisetti (two for ten) the pick of the bowlers. A late rally took the total to 99 all out.

Visiting skipper Alex Rogan (five for 34) produced a superb spell, but Headley reached their target in the 23rd over.

Matt Joyce (50 not out) hit a lusty four to seal the win.

In Division Five, Alton’s fourth team ended their season with a two-wicket defeat at Frensham’s fourth team.

Alton batted first but collapsed to 23 for four. Alex Housley and Rob Crook stabilised the innings, but when Crook was out for 11 Alton were 61 for five. Housley (41) was next to go to leave Alton on 82 for six.

Jamie Craig added a valuable 19 as Alton were bundled out for 117. Mark Shine (three for 25) and Alistair Goldsworth (two for 13) were the pick of the Frensham attack.

Alton picked up early wickets to leave the home side reeling at 21 for four. John Porter, Joshua Jones and Nathan Vincent took a wicket apiece, with a run out leaving Frensham in need of a partnership.

Skipper Martin Green turned to young spinner Craig, who picked up the wicket of Richard Doran for eight to leave Frensham on 44 for five.

Max Falkiner and Toby De Mierre then added a vital 42 runs for the home side to move them to within striking distance of Alton’s total.

Ethan Orme then removed Falkiner for 45 to leave Frensham on 86 for six.

Nerves were soon jangling in the home dressing room as Vincent (two for 11) removed Patrick Falkiner for a duck to leave the hosts on 90 for seven.

Jones returned to the attack and picked up his second – removing Archie Warren for nine with the home side still needing 12 runs with two wickets left. De Mierre (26 not out) held his nerve to see Frensham home by two wickets.

In Division Six, Tilford’s third team beat Headley’s third team by seven wickets at Headley Playing Fields. The visitors won the toss and bowled first. Rana Rizwan opened the batting and top scored with 32. Hazel Wilkinson chipped in with 13 and Mike Hughes (11 not out) was the only other batter to achieve double figures as Headley were bowled out for 90 in the 33rd over.

Aaron Bicknell (one for 18), George Plant (one for 17) and Hughes (one for 15) took wickets for Headley in the field, but Philip Knight (39 not out) and Alex Macdonald (25 not out) saw the visitors over the line.