Alton were made to rue missed chances as they drew 1-1 at Sheerwater on Saturday in the Combined Counties Premier Division South.

The Brewers created a host of early opportunities.

On five minutes Scott Sanderson won the ball in midfield and set Liam Knight free on the left. His delightful ball in left Louis Russell with a free header eight yards out, but he flashed it just wide .

Ed Dryden was the next with a decent opportunity, but his header from a corner again just missed the far post.

Billy Wright won possession on the right and delivered a good cross. Knight arrived at pace and was unable to control his header as another chance went begging.

Young Lewis Mees in the away team’s goal dealt well with sporadic attacks from the home side, and had to be alert to tip over a rasping shot after a free kick was conceded on the edge of the box .

Knight then burst past two defenders on the right-hand side and cut the ball back to Siph Mdlalose, who could only hit the side netting.

On 38 minutes the visitors took the lead. Knight’s long throw was flicked on by Dryden and Adam Brice forced it home at the far post.

When the game resumed after half time it appeared the wind had strengthened and the home side took full advantage territorially, forcing numerous corners.

Dryden was in the right place to clear comfortably off of the line from one corner, but the warning was not heeded and the equaliser arrived on the hour. Another corner made its way low through the six-yard box and Sam Green reacted quickest to force the ball home from close range.

Alton responded and pushed for a winner. Sanderson had a header from Matt Benham’s free kick, and the home keeper made a comfortable diving save from Mdlaalose after good link-up play between George Bowerman and Russell.

The Brewers held their breath when they again failed to deal with a corner, but the Sheerwater attacker arriving at the far post failed to connect with the ball properly.

The remainder of the game was played out without a real threat on either goal. Substitute Ritchie Hunter had a half chance late on, but his header went high over the bar.

Alton manager Kevin Adair said: “We settled really well in the game and created four clearcut chances early on, but only took one of them.

“We should have taken at least another one.

“In the second half we were on the back foot a bit.

“Sheerwater went long and direct, and we had to deal with long balls.

“At half time we were disappointed to only be 1-0 up as we should have had a bigger lead, but in the end a draw was probably a fair result.

“There were many positive things to take from the game, and we will keep moving forward. We’re still in the early stages of the squad working together.”

Next up for Alton is a home game against Frimley Green on Saturday (3pm), and Adair is hoping for three points.

“We’re at home so we’ll be looking to win,” he said.

“We may set up slightly differently in the way we play and may make changes, but that depends on training this week.

“We are trying to get another one or two players in and are always looking to improve the squad.”