Farnham Town manager Paul Johnson remained upbeat after his side’s record-equalling FA Cup run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat at home to Chesham United on Saturday.

Town had reached the second qualifying round of the FA Cup and were narrowly beaten by Southern League Premier Division South leaders Chesham.

The visitors took the lead on 22 minutes through Josh Allen’s header. Ricardo German made it 2-0 on 30 minutes when he finished into the bottom corner.

Town pulled a goal back on 80 minutes when Shamal Edwards’ cross found Owen Dean, and he drilled home at the far post.

Farnham pushed for an equaliser, but the visitors held on to reach the third qualifying round.

“I thought we were good in the second half – and we weren’t bad in the first half,” said Johnson.

“They had two chances and that’s the levels – they took their two chances. We came out in the second half and had three good chances. We got our goal, which we deserved, and it’s a shame we couldn’t get one more big chance. Overall, I’m proud of the boys.

“Football-wise we matched them in the first half and were maybe a bit better, but we didn’t cause them a threat. We were a bit toothless. Charlie Postance needed to hold the ball up better, and Shamal was too far off him.

“Shamal had to come in and cause a run from out to in – we started on the front foot in the second half and it paid off. We then changed our shape, which caused them a few problems and made their two sit back in.

“Shamal got in down the side and produced a good cross to the back post for the goal. Owen showed a bit of composure, took the touch, took his time and smashed it home.”

A crowd of 1,114 packed into The Memorial Ground for Saturday’s game, and Johnson was delighted with the home support.

“I thought the club advertised it well throughout the week and it was a really good turnout,” said Johnson. “Hopefully the performance, the day and the experience will make people come back and we can keep building on these crowds.”

Farnham will host Wessex League Division One outfit Millbrook in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase on Saturday (3pm), before returning to Combined Counties Premier Division South action at Fleet Town on Saturday, September 30.

“Millbrook will be a different test – they’re a league lower, they’re going to run around a lot, and they’re going to fancy it,” said Johnson. “We’re looking forward to getting a run of league games – that’s the priority. We’ve got some big league games coming up. We’ll get through that and see where we’re at.”