Farnham Town swiftly returned to winning ways as they produced a superb display to comfortably beat AFC Croydon Athletic 4-0 in the Combined Counties Premier Division South.

Town were held to a 0-0 draw at second-placed Knaphill on Tuesday night after starting their league campaign with 25 successive wins, and got straight back to winning ways with an impressive performance against Croydon.

Goals from Owen Dean (3) and Lewis Flatman sealed the three points for Farnham in front of a crowd at 727 at The Memorial Ground.

Farnham were quick out of the blocks and deservedly took the lead in the 14th minute. Flatman went round Croydon keeper Jordan Olds and saw his shot cleared off the line, but Dean bundled home the rebound from close range.

Town doubled their advantage a minute later thanks to a sensational volley from Flatman which found the top corner and gave Olds no chance.

Farnham were running riot now and won a penalty on 17 minutes when Brandon Kalu drove into the box and was brought down. Harry Cooksley’s penalty was heading for the right-hand corner but was well saved by Olds.

Flatman nearly made it 3-0 to Farnham in the 30th minute with an audacious chip which landed on the roof of the Croydon net.

Town continued to push forwards at the start of the second half and nearly increased their lead on 50 minutes when Dean cut the ball back to Cooksley, who smashed his shot against the crossbar.

The third goal did arrive on 52 minutes. Dean Rule’s clipped effort hit the post and Dean headed headed home the rebound into an empty net to claim his second of the afternoon.

Rule nearly got on the scoresheet himself three minutes later, but his effort was well saved by Olds.

Farnham won their second penalty of the afternoon in the 74th minute when Jack Dean was brought down in the box, and Owen Dean slotted his penalty into the bottom left-hand corner to complete his hat-trick.

Town had chances to extend their advantage even further in the final 15 minutes as they ran out comprehensive winners.