Farnham Rugby Club slipped to a 24-19 defeat at bottom side Reading in Regional Two South Central.

Farnham kicked off into the breeze and up the slope, but immediately put themselves under pressure with silly penalties that cost them field position. A quick tap from the Reading scrum half got them in behind and then an offload to the number seven resulted in the first try of the game.

Farnham responded well and put some attacking phases together. The backs linked up well with Toby Salmon putting Ben Jones into a hole who then drew the last man to put Reece Stennett into the corner for Farnham’s first try. The conversion was successful.

Farnham failed to clear their lines at the restart and gave Reading an opportunity to reply immediately. A penalty in front of the posts was converted to make it 8-7.

Farnham continued to look dangerous in attack. A kick to the corner got their rolling maul going. It was well controlled and moved close to the Reading line before Matt Kouris peeled away and powered over for Farnham’s second try to make it 12-8.

Ill-discipline in front of the Farnham posts then allowed the Reading fly half a kick at goal to make it 12-11.

A high tackle from Oscar Henderson reduced Farnham to 14 men for the rest of the half. Reading opted for the posts again and led 14-12.

Reading kicked off the second half with Farnham bringing on Jack Scullion to use his boot to pin Reading back. The first ten minutes was a battle for territory with no chances for either team. Finally, Farnham managed to put some phases together with good interplay allowing Matt Kouris to break the line. However, a high tackle stopped him and the guilty Reading player was given ten minutes in the bin.

Farnham opted to take a shot at goal, but the kick hit the post. Marcus Lambert-Parsons chased up and was first to react to the loose ball to score under the posts for a massive swing in Farnham’s favour.

The conversion was successful, and Farnham led 19-14.

After several phases, the Reading 13 broke through the line and offloaded to the flanker, but he was stopped short by Josh Watson. The referee deemed the tackle to be high, and with the attacker close to the try line awarded a penalty try and a yellow card.

Farnham were down to 14 men for the rest of the game, and Reading added a late penalty to make it 24-19.

Toby Salmon