Petersfield Rugby Club’s second team beat Alton’s second team 15-10 at Penns Place.

Petersfield selected four of this season’s colts who had yet to play in an adult game – and they all played with skill and agility.

In a highly-competitive match, where both teams played some exciting rugby and entertained a large crowd of supporters, just one unconverted try separated the two teams.

It was not until the start of the second quarter that either side troubled the scoreboard, when from a Petersfield rolling maul which turned to an untidy ruck the hosts secured the ball and passed it through two pairs of hands to find a sprinting Chad White.

White surprised the opposition with his acceleration and fleet of foot to run from the 22 to score an unconverted try under the posts.

Ten minutes later Alton opened their account after battering Petersfield’s defensive line for several minutes for one of their players to pirouette through the home side to score an unconverted try.

The score remained 5-5 at half-time.

In the second half almost 20 minutes were to elapse while both teams failed to encroach on the try line.

With 22 minutes of the half left Petersfield went through the gears and brought five players into the line for Max Kemp to cross the try line for another unconverted try.

Five minutes later Petersfield’s pack secured the ball from deep in their own half.

The ball was passed to Carl Sharrock who sprinted 50 metres up the 15-metre channel, brushing off Alton tacklers until he was brought to ground short of Alton’s 22.

Sharrock skilfully off loaded as he fell to the ground to White.

Seeing a determined Alton defender closing on him, White found another gear and outran the player to score an unconverted try and give Petersfield a 15-5 lead.

From the restart Alton put Field under extreme pressure, and despite some ferocious defending by Petersfield – including the colts whose waist and below tackling technique will serve them well next season – Alton scored an unconverted try out wide.

In the last ten minutes neither side could add to the scoreboard as Petersfield held on for the win.