Petersfield’s second team continued the club’s successful start to the season by beating Overton’s second team 22-10 to collect their third bonus-point win of the season and stay at the top of the league.

While the first team had an enforced rest day because of the pitches being waterlogged at Trojans, the second team travelled to Overton’s ground near Whitchurch and found pitches in excellent condition despite the previous week’s weather and a downpour during the warm-up.

Overton were an unknown opposition to the visitors and took to the field with a typical second team’s mixture of weight, age and experience.

Early on it was clear this combination would test Petersfield’s pack in set and loose scrums, while Overton’s backs looked likely to be pacey.

After just six minutes Petersfield won scrum ball. Scrum half Will Pritchard made yards down the openside to pass to fly half Joe Potter. Potter kicked towards the right wing for Isi Matea to hunt down the Overton defender – who fumbled the ball on his own five-metre line for Matea to touch down for a try converted by Potter.

The next 15 minutes were an arm wrestle, with Overton’s forwards not giving ground or much possession, while Petersfield attempted to launch their backline.

This close-encounter play resulted in Petersfield retreating into their 22 under some self-inflicted loss of territory as the penalty count mounted.

Petersfield defended their try line through several phases and were eventually unlocked by Overton’s captain and prop forward with an unconverted try under the posts to make the score 7-5.

Petersfield’s Matea took the ball 25 metres from the line after Field’s back row and backline combined to pass through five players. The quick Fijian was brought down just short of the line and Field’s second row Will Cross was on hand to collect the offload to crash over for an unconverted try to make it 12-5.

With both teams shuffling their squads with replacements and changes of position at half-time, Matea moved to scrum half. From a lineout won by Field, Matea ran across the pitch from left to right.

Matea was tackled but ripped the ball back and continued his crossfield sprint.

Running out of space and support he launched a towering long-range kick to the left corner. The Overton defender made a clean catch and attempted to kick to clear his line while Jordan Allan was closing on him. He scuffed the kick into the path of Allan, who swooped and dived over the line for an unconverted try to make the score 17-5.

With ten minutes remaining Petersfield had possession from a scrum near the left touchline. The ball was smartly passed through five players, with second row Cross lurking on the right wing 20 metres out. Bouncing off several tacklers he kept his feet and dived over for an unconverted try in the corner to make the score 22-5.

Overton were determined to end the game on a high and Petersfield assisted by conceding a string of penalties.

The hosts passed the ball out of Field’s 22 to launch their backs, who out-manoeuvred Field’s defence to dot the ball down for an unconverted try on the stroke of full-time.

Chris Todd